I consider myself fairly hip. I may not dress the coolest or listen to rap but I know who artists are, I finally figured out how to text and I even listen to the top 20 channel on the radio. While there are several artists that I change the station for, I enjoy most music. Today as I dropped Jackson off for school, I had the XM on the country station and I was listening to Carrie Underwood. She's cool, right. It's not like it was Reba or Garth. Or for that matter Depeche mode or Prince. (I could go on.) As I pulled up Jackson said, "Mom can you turn down the radio when I open the door. I don't want people to hear what you are listening too." WHAT!
Carrie Underwood Rocks. She has great music. I'm sorry it is not Pink or Kevin what's his name or T.I. etc but it's still okay. Besides there are no other kids around that will even notice what is on the radio when you open the door. It's not like I am blaring it.
Jackson proceeds to get out of the car. I say my "Have a nice day and Love you" then I turn the radio up as loud as I can, just to spite him. I got the "My mom is such dork" look from him. I think I even got the eyeroll. You know the one that your mom threatened that your eyes were going to stick up in your head forever if you kept rolling them. Yeah, that eyeroll.
I guess it was inevitable. I am not a cool mom, even if I think I am. Your kids won't always like you. This story I am sure will be a dinner conversation for years to come when the kids get together and share awful stories that their parents did to them when they were growing up. I was hoping that my kids would be the exception and wouldn't have to be teenagers. Guess that didn't happen. I am sure there will be many more "my mom is such a dork" moments but for now I can just laugh and say "Your right she is"!!!
4 comments:
That totally cracks me up! I'm with you though, I think Carrie Underwood is pretty darn good. Way to go on turning up the volume!
Hey, if your kids only complain that you are a "dork" because you listen to Carrie Underwood then I think you are doing okay.
You gotta love the eye roll!
reminds me of a few decades ago...
Trust me. We think she's a dork for a LOT more than Carrie Underwood. Trust me on this Brenna.
Post a Comment