Monday, April 21, 2008

Swim Lessons

Kaci and Chase began swim lessons getting ready for the upcoming swim season.  This swim school that they go to is pretty good and does one on one lessons.  They want to start kids as young as 6 months but to me that is way too young.  So I started Kaci last week.  I mainly want her to not panic in the water and they also teach the young kids to spin onto their backs if they fall in. Chase learned to swim in 2 lessons last year so I was very impressed with this school last summer.  One problem, Kaci cries from the moment she sees her swimsuit until we leave the building.  The first video is of her in the dressing room after crying all the way over in the car.  





This is Chase in the dressing room during her lesson.  They have me leave the room so that Kaci doesn't see me.  He thinks it is hilarious that she cries the whole time.  









This is the very end.  She is still crying for me.  Luckily, the lessons are only 10 minutes.  We'll keep trying for a couple of more weeks but if the crying doesn't stop we may wait until next year.  The teacher did say that she does stop crying when she goes under water.  That's good, I guess.  So am I a mean mom for making her do it?  You be the judge.  

2 comments:

Ryan Esplin said...

Why don't you bribe Kaci into swimming lessons by giving her a Diet Coke with lemon from sonic?

Dave said...

Teri, Rest assured that Kaci's fear of water is likely to be better with time. To this day, drowning is still my biggest fear, but somehow by age 12 I learned how to swim distances up to 20 feet (never did pass the scout swim test). Now at the ripe age of 30, I can swim the length of most pools without having a panic attack set in. Once fatigue sets in though, forget about it, I freak out.